The challenges organizations face when implementing a program to Learn From Experience is:
- Who is responsible for identifying and collecting Lessons Learned? Ideally, all of the organization’s personnel should contribute to this knowledge base.
- When should the Lessons Learned be captured? Regrettably this may be considered low-priority work for when things aren’t so busy.
- Where are Lessons Learned data, analysis and recommendations to be found? The challenge is they are embedded in a wide range of business objects:
- Capital Projects
- Corrective Actions,
- Incident Investigation,
- Issue Management,
- Management of Change – MOC,
- What platform should I use to store this information? Using a point solution such as an Excel spreadsheet for Lessons Learned will not meet the objectives for this cornerstone of Risk Based Process Safety. Lessons Learned requires a comprehensive electronic document management platform such as SharePoint.
FACILEX® LL provides the ability to aggregate Lessons Learned from across the entire suite of applications. The best practice is to embed an “Action Item” to create Lessons Learned in the Close-Out phase of the business object lifecycle. Users are assigned the task as part of the project and need to complete it in order to finish the project. Lessons learned can also be imported from:
- Other SharePoint applications
- Third-party applications
- ERP/maintenance applications
FACILEX® LL is initiated on a form configured to an organization’s specifications. As a minimum this would include:
- Source Business Objects (CAR, IR, Audit, CP, MOC etc.)
- Follow-up Action Items and expected completion dates